BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle (ブレイブルー クロスタグバトル, BureiBurū Kurosu Tagu Batoru) is a crossover fighting game with a tag-team system. It includes characters from Arc System Works’ BlazBlue, Atlus’ Persona 4 Arena and its sequel, French-Bread’s Under Night In-Birth, and Rooster Teeth’s 3D anime-styled web series RWBY. As of Season 2, Team Arcana’s Arcana Heart (which was foreshadowed at the end of EVO 2018 trailer, and formerly co-owned by Examu as of the end of February 2020) was announced to be in the game, alongside Marvelous Entertainment's Senran Kagura and Subtle-Style’s Akatsuki En-Eins.
The character artwork for this game is drawn by Higuchi Konomi, who previously worked as a character designer of the XBlaze series.
For more on the game, visit here.
Cross Tag Battle will have the first four sided storyline episodes called “Episode Mode”, which may tell the episode stories of all playable cast from each of four consisting series.
Inside a dimension called the “Phantom Field”, chosen individuals from four different worlds appeared. Then, a mysterious voice told them that if they want to return to their world, they need to protect something called the "key stone". With that, the warriors begin fighting each other to steal their key stones.
The gameplay in Cross Tag Battle is much different from previous entries of BlazBlue, Persona 4 Arena, Under Night In-Birth, Arcana Heart and Akatsuki En-Eins, including Nitroplus Blasterz. Yet, some of the gameplay mechanics from the main latest installments of these four said series are retained while having some additional revamp for this game. Cross Tag Battle features 2v2 battles and tag-ins similar to Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and Tekken Tag Tournament 2.
The starting roster confirms to have 20 default rosters (21 in PC version) and 20 Season 1 DLC characters (19 on PC version), totaling 40 characters. As a result for the half of game’s planned roster, this game caused backlash from fighting game fans who have been promised a large roster at launch, while also citing that the game uses mostly reused assets from earlier Arc System Works fighting games. Robert Ramsey of Push Square called the title ugly compared to Arc System Works' other project, Dragon Ball FighterZ.
Season 2 DLC characters has been planned, according to Arc System Works president Minoru Kidooka, including this game's producer Mori, starting from their appearances in Arcade Edition on February 2019.
DLC characters are highlighted in Bold.
From Arcana HeartEdit
- Heart Aino (Season 2 DLC, Pack 7)
- Ragna the Bloodedge
- Jin Kisaragi
- Noel Vermillion
- Rachel Alucard
- Iron Tager
- Hakumen (Season 1 DLC, Pack 3)
- Makoto Nanaya
- Platinum the Trinity (Season 1 DLC, Pack 1)
- Izayoi (Season 1 DLC, Pack 4)
- Celica A. Mercury (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
- Nine the Phantom (Season 1 DLC, Pack 6)
- Naoto Kurogane (Season 2 DLC, Pack 7)
- Susano'o (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
- Mai Natsume (Season 1 DLC, Pack 5)
- Jubei (Season 1 DLC, Pack 2)
From Persona 4 Arena/UltimaxEdit
- Yu Narukami
- Yosuke Hanamura
- Chie Satonaka
- Yukiko Amagi
- Kanji Tatsumi (Season 1 DLC, Pack 1)
- Naoto Shirogane (Season 1 DLC, Pack 3)
- Teddie (Season 2 DLC, Pack 7)
- Mitsuru Kirijo (Season 1 DLC, Pack 4)
- Akihiko Sanada (Season 1 DLC, Pack 5)
- Aegis (Season 1 DLC, Pack 2)
- Elizabeth (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
- Labrys (Season 1 DLC, Pack 6)
- Tohru Adachi (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
From Under Night In-BirthEdit
From Senran KaguraEdit
- Yumi (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
From Akatsuki En-EinsEdit
- Akatsuki (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
- Blitztank (Season 2 DLC, Ver. 2.0 Expansion Pack)
- This is the second crossover game that characters from both the Arcana Heart and Senran Kagura series have appeared in (the first being Nitroplus Blasterz, with Heart and Homura being guest DLC characters).
- Like Under Night In-Birth characters, this marks the first time Arcana Heart characters, alongside Akatsuki En-Eins characters, have received English dubs.
- This is also technically the first time Senran Kagura characters have received English dubs in a video game (while the first English dub of the series was in its anime adaptation). However, should another batch of DLC characters from the series be announced, some Senran Kagura fighters (particularly those whose names have already been datamined) will likely have different English dub actors from those in the anime adaptation.
- Announcer voice clips for Saki Tsuzura, Kamui Tokinomiya, Kira Daidouji, Fiona Mayfield, Petra Johanna Lagerkvist, Akane Inuwaka, Weiß, Scharlachrot and Minori Amanohara were found in the version 1.5 ROM through datamining. This may be a hint of further Arcana Heart character DLCs, however it is not known whether some or all of those characters will actually be playable.
- ↑ https://www.famitsu.com/news/201801/13149729.html
- ↑ https://clips.twitch.tv/CourteousOddFloofOptimizePrime
- ↑ http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/01/half_of_blazblue_cross_tag_battles_character_roster_is_dlc_fans_are_raging
- ↑ https://www.arcsystemworks.jp/portal/post-12020/
|Main||Arcana Heart · Arcana Heart 2 · Arcana Heart 3|
|Spin-offs||Card of Glory|
|Other Media||Arcana Heart (manga)|
|Crossovers||Apron of Magic · Nitroplus Blasterz: Heroines Infinite Duel · BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle|